Готовимся к контрольной работе!
Упражнения на употребление глаголов в Past Simple или Past Perfect
1. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в Past Simple или Past Perfect.
1. Tom (to return) from the cinema at five o'clock.
2. Tom (to return) from the cinema by five o'clock.
3. I (to finish) my homework at seven o'clock.
Статья в тему "Учим Past Perfect Simple и Past Perfect Continuous"
Статья в тему "Учим Past Perfect Simple и Past Perfect Continuous"
4. I (to finish) my homework by seven o'clock. 5. He (to think) that he (to lose) the money. 6. Ann (to tell) me that she (to see) an interesting film. 7. When I (to come) home, mother already (to cook) dinner. 8. When father (to return) from work, we already (to do) our homework. 9. When the teacher (to enter) the classroom, the pupils already (to open) their books. 10. Kate (to give) me the book which she (to buy) the day before. 11. Nick (to show) the teacher the picture which he (to draw). 12. The boy (to give) the goats the grass which he (to bring) from the field. 13. Mother (to see) that Nick (not to wash) his hands. 14. The teacher (to understand) that Lena (not to do) her homework. 15. I (to know) that my friend (not yet to come). 16. When I (to wake) up yesterday, father already (to go) to work. 17. Nick (to think) that his father (not yet to come) home. 18. Mary (to tell) us that she (to cook) a good dinner. 19. Yesterday I (to find) the book which I (to lose) in summer. 20. When we (to come) to the station, the train already (to leave).
1. Tom returned. 2. Tom had returned. 3. I finished. 4. I had finished. 5. He thought, he had lost. 6. Ann told, she had seen. 7. I came, mother had already cooked. 8. Father returned, we had already done. 9. The teacher entered, the pupils had already opened. 10. Kate gave, she had bought. 11. Nick showed, he had drawn. 12. The boy gave, he had brought. 13. Mother saw, Nick had not washed. 14. The teacher understood, Lena had not done. 15. I knew, my friend had not yet come. 16. I woke, father had already gone. 17. Nick thought, his father had not yet come. 18. Mary told, she had cooked. 19. I found, I had lost. 20. We came, the train had already left.
2. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в Past Simple или Past Perfect.
1. By two o'clock the teacher (to examine) all the students. 2. On my way to school I (to remember) that I (to leave) my report at home. 3. All my friend; (to be) glad to hear that I (to pass) all the examinations successfully. 4. Poor Oliver (to lie) unconscious on the spot where Sikes (to leave) him. 5. He (to open) his eyes, (to look) around and (to try) to remember what (to happen) to him. 6. All the passengers (to see) at once that the old man (to travel) a great deal in his life. 7. By the time we (to come) to see him, he (to return) home. 8. During the holidays my friend (to visit) the village where he (to live) in his childhood. 9. When they (to enter) the hall, the performance already (to begin). 10. When I came home, my mother (to tell) me that she (to receive) a letter from grandfather. 11. Where you (to work) before you (to enter) the institute? 12. He (to study) French before he (to enter) the university. 13. Lanny (to say) that he (to get) his education in Cape Town. 14. The boy (to want) to act the main part in the play because he (to organize) the theatre. 15. Lanny (not to know) who (to attack) him in the darkness. 16. The girl (to be) glad that she (to find) a seat near the window. 17. Suddenly he (to remember) that he (not to ring) her up in the morning. 18. By the time the train (to reach) the city, he (to make) friends with many passengers. 19. When my uncle (to leave), he (to hurry) to the station to book a ticket. 20. She (to think) that Gert and Lanny (to quarrel).
1. The teacher had examined. 2. I remembered, I had left. 3. All my friends were, I had passed. 4. Poor Oliver lay, Sikes had left. 5. He opened, looked, tried, what had happened. 6. All the passengers saw, the old man had travelled. 7. We came, he had returned. 8. My friend visited, he had lived. 9.They entered, the performance had begun. 10. My mother told, she had received. 11. Where had you worked, you entered. 12. He had studied, he entered. 13. Lanny said, he had got. 14. The boy wanted, he had organized. 15. Lanny did not know, who had attacked. 16. The girl was, she had found. 17. He remembered, he had not rung. 18. The train reached, he had made. 19. My uncle had left, he hurried. 20. She thought, Gert and Lanny had quarrelled.
3. Упражнение Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в Past Simple, Past Continuous и Past Perfect.
1. By eight o'clock yesterday I (to do) my homework and at eight I (to play) the piano. 2. By six o'clock father (to come) home and at six he (to have) dinner. 3. By nine o'clock yesterday grandmother (to wash) the dishes and at nine she (to watch) TV. 4. When I (to meet) Tom, he (to eat) an ice cream which he (to buy) at the corner of the street. 5. When father (to come) home, we (to cook) the mushrooms which we (to gather) in the wood. 6. When I (to see) Ann, she (to sort) the flowers which she (to pick) in the field. 7. When I (to come) home yesterday, I (to see) that my little brother (to break) my pen and (to play) with its pieces. 8. When I (to open) the door of the classroom, I (to see) that the teacher already (to come) and the pupils (to write) a dictation. 9. When I (to come) home, my sister (to read) a book which ihe (to bring) from the library. 10. When mother (to come) home, the children (to eat) the soup which she (to cook) in the morning. 11. When I (to ring) up Mike, he still (to learn) the poem which he (to begin) learning at school. 12. When I (to look) out of the window, the children (to play) with a ball which Pete (to bring) from home. 13. By ten o'clock the children (to settle) comfortably on the sofa and at ten they (to watch) a film on TV.
1. I had done, I was playing. 2. Father had come, he was having. 3. Grandmother had washed, she was watching. 4. I met, he was eating, he had bought. 5. Father came, we were cooking, we had gathered. 6. I saw, she was sorting, she had picked. 7. I came, I saw, my little brother had broken, was playing. 8. I opened, I saw, the teacher had already come, the pupils were writing. 9. I came, my sister was reading, she had brought. 10. Mother came, the children were eating, she had cooked. 11. I rang, he was still learning, he had begun. 12.I looked, the children were playing, Pete had brought. 13. The children had settled, they were watching.
4. Упражнение . Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в Past Simple, Past Continuous и Past Perfect.
Last night we (to go) to a football match. We (to take) a bus. The bus (to be) full of people as many people (to want) to see the match. We (to get) off the bus and (to go) in the direction of the stadium. While we (to cross) the road, I (to see) Victor. He (to stand) at the corner. He said he (to wait) for his friend who (to come) to St. Petersburg the day before and (to wish) to see the new stadium. A man (to come) up to me and asked if I (to have) a spare ticket for the match. Victor told us that two boys just (to ask) him whether he (to have) a spare ticket. We (to enter) the stadium just as the football players (to come) out on to the field. At the entrance to the stadium we (to meet) Sergei. He (to show) us to our seats and we (to agree) to meet in the snack bar during the interval. He (to ask) me if I (to play) football in my childhood.
We went, we took, the bus was, many people wanted, we got, went, we were crossing, I saw, he was standing, he was waiting, who had come, wished, a man came, I had, two boys had just asked, he had, we entered, the football players were coming, we met, he showed, we agreed, he asked, I had played.
5. Упражнение . Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в Past Simple, Past Continuous и Past Perfect.
1. I (to return) to the hotel only late at night as I (to lose) my way in the fog. When I (to come) up to my room, I (to see) Pete who (to stand) at the door of the room. He (to wait) for me as he (to lose) his key and could not get in. 2. When I (to wake) up, it (to be) already ten o'clock. I (to call) my brother. Nobody (to answer). He already (to leave). 3. I (to go) up to the open window. The rain (to stop) and the sun (to shine) brightly. The birds in the garden (to sing). The morning (to be) fine. 4. When the rain (to stop) I (to look) out of the window and (to see) John who (to stand) under a tree waiting for me. 5. When I called at his house, they (to tell) me that he (to 1еалге) an hour before. 6. When I came to the station, I (not to) find my friend there as I (to be) five minutes late and the train (to leave). 7. He (to want) to visit the place where he (to live) in his childhood. 8. The telegram (to come) some minutes after he (to leave). 9. She (to look) very tired as she (to work) hard.
1. I returned, I had lost, I came, I saw, who was standing, he was waiting, he had lost. 2. I woke, it was, I called, nobody answered, he had already left. 3. I went, the rain had stopped, the sun was shining, the birds were singing, the morning was. 4. The rain had stopped, I looked, saw, who was standing. 5. They told, he had left. 6. I didn't find, I was, the train had left. 7. He wanted, he had lived. 8. The telegram came, he had left. 9. She looked, she had worked.
6. Упражнение . Say what action was done before. Combine the two sentences into one. (Oпределите, какое действие произошло раньше. Объедините два предложения в одно, не меняя части местами. Используйте BEFORE )
I sent a telegram. Then I met my friend. — I had sent a telegram before I met my friend.
The rain stopped. I went for a walk.
I did my homework. My mother returned home.
We met in the street. We went to the park.
They packed their things. Then they started.
I had dinner. I switched on the TV set.
He returned home. The guests left.
We came to the cinema. The film began.
I read the book. I saw the play. .
They lived here. They moved to another place.
We played а game of tennis. We went to my place.
The rain had stopped before I went for a walk.
I had done my homework before my mother returned home.
We had met in the street before we went to the park.
They had packed their things before they started.
I had had dinner before I switched on the TV set.
Before he returned home the guests had left.
Before we came to the cinema the film had begun.
I had read the book before I saw the play.
They had lived here before they moved to another place.We had played а game of tennis before we went to my place
1. They felt tired that morning because they (drive) all night.
1) were driving
2) had been driving
3) had driven
2. The village was deserted for years when we first (visit) it.
1) had visited
3) had been visiting
3. She understood the problems of the company because she (work) there since it started.
1) was working
3) had been working
4. She was upset because she (lose) her umbrella.
1) had been losing
2) had lost
5. Diana (wait) for an hour before Nick (arrive).
1) was waiting/arrived
2) waited/was arriving
3) had been waiting/arrived
6. When she was young she (dance) a lot.
2) had danced
3) had been dancing
7. He was dizzy. He (work) on the computer since morning.
1) had been working
2) had worked
3) was working
8. John (drive) home when his car (break) down.
1) had been driving/broke down
2) was driving/broke down
3) had driven/was breaking down
9. I knew the facts of the accident because I (read) the report.
1) had been reading
3) had read
10. My eyes ached because I (read) for three hours.
1) was reading
2) had been reading
3) had read
11. The children were filthy. They (play) in the garden all morning , and they were covered with mud.
1) were playing
2) had been playing
12. I was never nervous. I never (play) against her before and I didn’t know how good she was.
1) had never played
3) had been playing
13. Donald excelled himself as a cook. He (cook) a wonderful Spanish dish.
2) had been cooking
3) had cooked
14. James was very tired. He (work) in the kitchen all morning.
1) was working
2) had been working
15. John repaired it because he (do) it before.
2) had been doing
3) had done
16. They (fly) over the Andes when the plane (crash).
1) had been flying/crashed
2) were flying/crashed
3) had flown/ was crushing
17. She (turn off) the TV set as soon as she (enter) the house.
1) was turning off/ entered
2) had turned/entered
18. The Browns (live) in the same house for ten years before they decided to move.
1) had been living
2) had lived
3) were living
19. I was tired. I (dig) all day.
1) had been digging
2) was digging
20. How long you (wait) here, before I came?
1) had you been waiting
2) were you waiting
1 – 2 11 - 2
2 – 2 12 - 1
3 – 3 13 - 3
4 – 2 14 - 2
5 – 3 15 - 3
6 – 1 16 - 2
7 – 1 17 - 3
8 – 2 18 - 1
9 – 3 19 - 1
10 – 2 20 – 1